I will be moderating a panel at OMMA Mobile tomorrow ( May 12th) about brand marketing and apps. Since the launch of iPhone, Apps used for branding and engagement purposes has exploded. I will be exploring with some leading brand managers the overall effectiveness and direction of how they have leveraged and see apps in there marketing mix. We will have Coca-Cola, Kraft Foods, Zippo and Fandango.
Some useful stats…
- iPhone Store has close to 200,000 App, Android marketplace 50,000
- We are quickly approaching 2B App downloads and by 2014 it is estimated users will have downloaded 6B apps
- Nokia see’s 1.7M App downloads a day off of Ovi store
- 40% of Apps used in the Japanese market are from oversea’s
- Verizon/Softbank/Vodafone/China mobile have launched the JIL framework for viral widgets ( Web Apps)
- There are over 85 Stores that deliver applications globally
- Today approx 91% of the US population carries a mobile phone and 25% browse the web
- Tomorrow 2012, 50% of all users will be carrying a smart phone.
- In a study by InsightExpress, Mobile has been 4.5~5x more effective in brand marketing compared to online
- GenY is very positive with mobile coupons and access them up to 6x more then other consumers
- 43% of smartphone users view product or retailer coupons on their smartphone while away from their computer
- While in-store 52% of smartphone users view a product description and 36% have checked the price from their handset
- The mobile app has been know to change the dynamics of retail merchandising as the device is closer to the user personally then viewing the items on the shelves
- SMS is still growing and a very effective App deliver mechanism and engagement service. 5Billion text messages were exchanged per day in Dec 2009